The Story of CPFUMC begins in 1984 when several Cedar Park families attending the Leander United Methodist Church wanted to worship in Cedar Park. These founding families were strongly motivated to provide activities and spiritual development for their children. Church members were highly engaged in church activities such as Sunday School and Vacation Bible School, and participated in constructing the present Church sanctuary.
The Church has grown but also experienced challenges as the area economy prospered or faltered. However, CPFUMC persevered and became a well-established church expanding its church facilities and programs. The Church became “First United Methodist Church”, a more traditional congregation in 2009, but also “A Spiritual Oasis, Committed to Christ, to Peace and to Service.”
Throughout its existence the Church has engaged in mission activities including tutoring elementary school students, delivering Meals on Wheels, preparing school backpacks, supporting Hill Country Community Ministries and going on youth mission trips.
In addition, CPFUMC makes an impact in the community beyond its membership by providing Sunday school for group home members and a meeting place for cub scouts, girl scouts, Alcoholics Anonymous, English as a second language classes and other community groups.
Some characteristics of CPFUMC’s historical identity and vocation include–
- A warm and welcoming church open to newcomers and providing loving support to members;
- A highly engaged congregation in all aspects of the church and its work;
- A church that emphasizes Christian education and Bible study;
- A church that emphasizes spiritual development and prayer;
- A multi-generation congregation that supports and encourages children, youth and families;
- A church engaged in mission with a special emphasis on supporting children and persons in need;
- A church with lively, informal church services that also incorporates the historic traditions of Christian worship.
First Worship services were in 1984 at Faubion elementary School.
The Sanctuary Building was completed in 1987.
The Multi Ministries Building was completed in 2005.